Africa earned $35 billion in international tourism receipts in 2016

Africa earned $35 billion in international tourism receipts in 2016

Tourism in Africa up in 2016 after two years of decline with South Africa, Kenya and Tanzania leading the new drive to attract visitors though almost two thirds of tourism spend is the continent's own travellers

International tourist arrivals in Africa went up by 8 per cent in 2016 according to UNWTO Tourism Highlights 2017 Edition, which cites comparatively limited data available to date. This represents a strong rebound, following two years (2014 and 2015) of weaker performance due to various geopolitical, economic, and health challenges.

As compared to 2015, 2016 saw a four million increase in international tourists, to reach 58 million (5 per cent of the world total). This earned the region $35 billion in international tourism receipts (3 per cent share), representing an increase of 8 per cent in real terms.

The report further indicates that Sub-saharan Africa led the continent’s recovery by  over 10 per cent. Attributed partly to simpler visa procedures, South Africa recorded a 13 per cent growth in international arrivals, with Kenya and Tanzania also enjoying double digit growth of 17 per cent and 16 per cent in 2016.

Yet, domestic travel spending still had the biggest share according to a Jumia Travel Hospitality Report for Africa, generating approximately 64 per cent of Africa’s Tourism GDP. This is in comparison to 36 per cent of foreign visitor spending in 2016.

UNWTO notes among others strengthening of security, improved air and sea connectivity, and the redirection of tourism flows from other troubled destinations, as major contributors to the improved tourism performance in most African countries.

READ ORIGINAL STORY HERE

RETURN TO INDUSTRY NEWS

International tourist arrivals in Africa went up by 8 per cent in 2016 according to UNWTO Tourism Highlights 2017 Edition, which cites comparatively limited data available to date. This represents a strong rebound, following two years (2014 and 2015) of weaker performance due to various geopolitical, economic, and health challenges.

As compared to 2015, 2016 saw a four million increase in international tourists, to reach 58 million (5 per cent of the world total). This earned the region $35 billion in international tourism receipts (3 per cent share), representing an increase of 8 per cent in real terms.

The report further indicates that Sub-saharan Africa led the continent’s recovery by  over 10 per cent. Attributed partly to simpler visa procedures, South Africa recorded a 13 per cent growth in international arrivals, with Kenya and Tanzania also enjoying double digit growth of 17 per cent and 16 per cent in 2016.

Yet, domestic travel spending still had the biggest share according to a Jumia Travel Hospitality Report for Africa, generating approximately 64 per cent of Africa’s Tourism GDP. This is in comparison to 36 per cent of foreign visitor spending in 2016.

UNWTO notes among others strengthening of security, improved air and sea connectivity, and the redirection of tourism flows from other troubled destinations, as major contributors to the improved tourism performance in most African countries.

READ ORIGINAL STORY HERE

RETURN TO INDUSTRY NEWS